Sunday, March 22, 2015

Beaver Pond Discoveries


In recent years one of my favorite places for bass fishing has been a natural beaver pond on some friends property. Unfortunately over the last year or so the already shallow pond hasn't been holding as much water as it should, which makes fishing it a bit of a challenge.


So when I visited there last Monday I had to wade about knee deep in mud just to get a canoe in the water. I came in a little bit concerned that the low water was going to be bad for the fish, since the deepest spot in the pond is currently only about 3-feet. But I was pleasantly surprised to see plenty of bass and bream cruising around the pond. Including some really small fish, which would seem to suggest that the fish are still reproducing.



Unfortunately with the water being so clear and shallow, the fish seemed to see me just as well as I could see them. But I did still manage to catch one chunky bass on a 5-inch Yum Dinger.

Overall I came away happy with what I found at the pond. But I'm hoping that whatever is wrong with the pond fixes itself soon, and starts holding some water again.

No comments:

Post a Comment